Popular Posts

Thursday, December 9, 2010

How to Survive the Recession - A Vermont Perspective by Bob Stannard

The following is the opening of my new book.  I am going to be (slowly) sharing excerpts from the book on this blog.  Love to hear your feedback!

Dedication

Inasmuch as this is the first (and most likely ONLY) book I have written I feel compelled to uncharacteristically exercise some caution in dedicating it to anyone.

That said, I would like to dedicate this book to Joe Allen of Joe Allen Restaurants http://www.joeallenrestaurant.com/.  Had he not asked one simple question back in 1982 I doubt I would have ever written anything.  Through a terse exchange on his lawn he challenged me to write.  For almost thirty years I pondered that challenge.  Things happen slowly in Vermont, but they get done after a while. 

I would further dedicate this book to my friend Jay Hathaway who passed before the book was released.  I know he would have said, “How cool is that”.

Acknowledgements
Many thanks to the world’s greatest political cartoonist, Jeff Danziger for his generosity, wonderful talent and friendship.

I would like to recognize Louis Porter for his input on this book.  Editing is hard enough on a well written book.  It took him forever, but fortunately he was much faster at editing than I was writing it.  Also to Frank Bryan, Evelyn Wilde Mayerson and Don Hooper for their thoughtful comments and guidance.

Thanks to Ed Woods who called me out in an editorial in the Bennington Banner suggesting that I start writing a column.  I am grateful to Ed and the Bennington Banner for allowing me a forum to spew out thoughts to the world twice a month.

Extra special thanks to Sandy Taylor who did a very thorough job in editing this book. She is the primary reason I don’t sound like a complete moron.  This was not an easy book to edit.  She probably saved my marriage; for that I am grateful.

Lastly, I want to thank my wife, Alison, who notwithstanding would prefer that I do most anything else but waste time in front of a computer doing useless things like writing a book that few will ever read, seems to not only support me, but on occasion encourages me to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment